Note: Fill holes and imperfections with a suitable timber putty if required.
To coat new bare timber immediately, scrub damp timber with Cabot’s New Timber Prep, following label instructions. New Timber Prep will draw out tannins and oils quickly from the surface, allowing you to skip the 4-6 weeks weathering process required for new timber. Always follow New Timber Prep with Cabot’s Deck Clean following label instructions. Remove excess water from the surface with squeegee on Cabot’s Deck Prep brush, and allow timber to dry for at least 1 hour. Note: Cooler conditions could slow down the drying time of the timber.
Previously Stained and Oiled Timber
For exterior surfaces clean with Cabot’s Deck Clean following label instructions. Test if the surface is ready for coating by sprinkling water on the timber. If the water beads on the surface, repeat the application of Deck Clean. If water is absorbed into timber, it is ready for coating. For a more transparent look, sand timber back to bare then clean with Cabot's Deck Clean before coating.
Weathered and Grey Timber
For best results, sand timber back to fresh substrate. Clean with Cabot's Deck Clean following label instructions.
|Apply with||Brush, Decking Applicator|
1. Stir thoroughly with a broad flat paddle before and during use.
2. Apply liberally along the length of the board including exposed edges and end grain by brush or pad applicator.
3. Allow the first coat to dry and then apply a second coat using the same method.
4. Continue applying coats until you achieve the depth of colour you desire.
Every 12 months check your coated timber for changes in colour or water repellency diminishes due to weathering. When required,
1. Clean the surfaces with Deck Clean as per label instructions.
2. Recoat with 1-2 coats of Decl & Exterior Stain OB.
• Use Cabot’s Everyday Deck Wash to refresh exterior timber decking and help remove dirt, dust and bird droppings for everyday use.
Colour representations in brochures and websites should be used as a guide only for your colour selection due to printing and screen limitations. The actual colour achieved will be influenced by your timber type, tone, grain and application rate. To ensure you achieve the finish you want, we recommend that you test your colour choice at home prior to coating.
If you are unsure on how much product you need, please use our product calculator. Please note minimum length/width value is 1 metre and maximum is 50 metres.