Note: Fill nail holes, cracks and other defects with Cabot's Wood Tone Putty after applying the first coat of this product for accurate colour matching. Remove stains, dirt, wax, grease and oil with mineral turpentine. Remove any polish with a suitable floor polish remover.
Bare Timber Sand the surface smooth using 180 - 240 grit sandpaper. Sand only in the direction of the grain. Remove all traces of sanding dust.
Previously Coated Timber Completely remove the previous coating using a paint stripper or by sanding. Remove all traces of sanding dust.
1. Stir thoroughly with a broad flat paddle until pigment is mixed in and colour is uniform. Keep well stirred during use. If using more than one can, mix all cans together into a larger container to ensure colour uniformity.
2. Apply with a good quality brush or roller.
3. Apply three coats depending on the required depth of colour, allowing 8 hours between coats. Sand between coats using 240 grit sandpaper.
COLOUR STRENGTH If the desired colour is achieved after 1 or 2 coats of Cabot's Stain & Varnish, use Cabot's Cabothane Clear Oil Based to complete the 3 coat system.
STAINING A FLOOR The natural colour of the timber will affect the finished colour of the stain. Always test the stain on an off cut or concealed part of the actual job before proceeding. Follow preparation steps above. Stain first with one coat of Cabot’s Stain & Varnish Oil Based using a 6 - 10mm nap roller. Additional coats can be applied if a deeper colour is required. Topcoat with Cabot's CFP Floor Oil Based following label instructions.
Regular inspection of all coated surfaces is recommended. Re-coating is recommended when the coating looks dull or tired.
1. Clean with Cabot's Floor Clean following label instructions.
2. Sand with 240 grit sandpaper, remove all traces of sanding dust.
3. Apply 1-2 coats of Stain & Varnish.
Base colours below are available instore to purchase. From these colour bases, you can tint to 100’s of colours. To view our range, view the colour visualiser.
All colours displayed on this page show 2 coats.
Colour varies depending on your timber type.
If you are unsure on how much product you need, please use our product calculator. Please note minimum length/width value is 1 metre and maximum is 50 metres.